Around two years ago, the Government of India announced that FASTag is mandatory for all vehicles. This step has significantly impacted the national highways in our country in a positive manner, reducing congestion and enhancing the travelling experience for all four-wheeler owners. Moreover, if you are planning to buy a new vehicle, this online FASTag now comes pre-attached to your new vehicle.
Long gone are the days when people used to keep change in their car to pay at a toll plaza. With the technology of FASTag, you need not even open your window and can pass through the toll plaza within seconds.
What is a FASTag?
FASTag is a Radio Frequency Identification Technology (RFID) introduced in late 2017. Basically, it was developed to get rid of the inconvenience four-wheeler drivers face while approaching the toll plazas. So, in simple terms, it is affixed to your windscreen and is prepaid for toll collection. Moreover, it has no expiry date; hence, they can be used as long as they are readable at the toll plazas.
How does it work?
It is linked to your bank account or UPI (Unified Payment Interface) and works as a prepaid account. It is fixed to your vehicle’s windscreen, and the payments at toll plazas are made through RFID as you drive through the toll gate. Moreover, you can easily do FASTag recharge online from your smartphone only.
What are the benefits of FASTag?
- This technology of Online FASTag helps you save fuel and time as it cuts on the tedious process of slowing down while approaching the toll plaza.
- It helps keep you on proper financial track as every time you cross a toll, you’ll receive an update on your smartphone.
- Environmentally friendly as it reduces paperwork.
How to check balance in FASTag?
I’m sharing my experience as I’ve been using the Bajaj Finserv app. It is effortless, and not only this service, but I also do all digital payments on this platform. (Readers are free to choose any app, I’m just sharing my experience for a better understanding).
- Download the Bajaj Finserv application.
- Open it and go to the Bills & Recharges section.
- Under the Recharge section, click on FASTag.
- Select your provider.
- Enter your Vehicle’s Registration Number or Wallet ID
- After entering the required details, you’ll see your current balance and the maximum allowable payment.
- Below it, you need to enter your desired recharge amount.
- Click on Proceed to Pay, and you’ll be able to quickly complete your fastag recharge online.
- After your registration, you’ll be able to see your FASTag balance.
I believe it is vital to keep your FASTag recharged at all times. If it is not recharged, not only will it cause inconvenience to you but also other people waiting at the toll gates. The Government of India has made it clear that you have to pay double the fee if there is no FASTag on your vehicle.